Higher Education Funding Council of England (HEFCE) (06 May 2013)
MANDATE URL and TEXT
11. We propose to treat as ‘open access’ publications those which meet all of the following criteria:
- deposited in the author's own institutional repository (see paragraph 13) immediately upon publication, although the repository may provide access in a way that respects agreed embargos (see paragraph 15)
- made available as the final peer reviewed text, though not necessarily identical to the publisher’s edited and formatted version; and
- presented in a form allowing the reader to search for and re-use content...
12. We intend that work which has been originally published in an ineligible form then retrospectively made available in time for the post-2014 REF submission date should not be eligible, as the primary objective of this proposal is to stimulate immediate open-access publication.
13. As part of our commitment to increasing public access, we intend to require that outputs meeting the REF open access requirement (whether published by the gold or green route) shall be accessible through an institutional repository. This reflects our view of the significant role of institutional repositories in increasing sustainable and convenient public access to research. It is our intention to support the development and use of these repositories as far as possible. We envisage couching this requirement in the following terms:
‘All submitted outputs covered by our requirement for open access above, and other submitted outputs that are available electronically, shall be available through a repository of the submitting institution.’
14. This would mean in practice that each submitting institution would maintain a web facility through which all relevant outputs might be identified and accessed...
15. Some publishers introduce embargo periods before work can be made available in an open-access form. Where embargoes apply we propose to determine eligible periods with regard to the practice of other major research funders at the time....
PDF (HEFCE/REF Open Access Mandate Proposal)
Download (187Kb) | Preview
Contributed by Harnad, S (----)
|MANDATE TYPE:||Proposed Funder Mandate|
|Depositing User:||Stevan Harnad|
|Date Deposited:||06 May 2013 00:56|
|Last Modified:||06 Oct 2013 20:43|
Actions (login required)